Monday 1 August 2011

papaver orientalis
 My garden in May, with the oriental poppies doing their thing, and the harlequin glorybower (really, or clerodendron trichotomum if you prefer), just coming into leaf. We are still referring to it as the little tree, because when I went to get it from my brother - he was moving to somewhere without a garden - he presented me with an unattractive stick. He had pruned it savagely root and branch. I had cleared the station wagon and prepared the roof rack just in case. To help it establish I watered it meticulously during every dry spell, and it grew. I was able to clear up that it was by no means Indian Bean Tree, or catalpa bignonioides to friends of Linnaeus. This little tree is classified as invasive in southern states of the USA, and judging by the suckers that I've pruned back over two yards away fron the tree, I understand what they mean. Still, it is a lovely addition if you're willing to take the risk, it doesn't grow very big, it's late to leaf, and early to fall. The leaves are a lovely heart shape and the blossoms carry a heady scent, released on warm afternoons once the sun has been on them. Once the flowers are spent the fruit develops, turning a wonderful bright blue and the leathery calyx a punchy pink. A bit like something thought up on Star Trek.

red and pink, a real treat



poppy with johnson's blue geranium




















No comments:

Post a Comment